Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving Break in Baltimore and NYC

Skipping several classes, I decided to go with Dan to Baltimore and NYC over Thanksgiving break. Going from Chicago to Baltimore is about 750 miles and it took us about 11 hours. Pretty good timing, especially most of the driving took place in pitch dark blackness. This picture is Indiana, aka the Main Street of the Midwest, cuz everyone just drives through it to go to other states. It was cool having Dan's Blackberry hooked up to his laptop, so I could blog/chat/wikipedia stuff on the drive over. Definitely made the drive shorter.Arrived in Baltimore 3am on Tuesday morning! I stayed over at Jess Lee's apartment. We caught up on life and talked until sunrise. So tired. Stacy: we missed you. But sleeping in your room, I definitely got your essence. That sounds freaky. Things around campus have big changes changes. I was a total tourist, but I had to take the picture of the new JHMI shuttle stop in front of Uni One. The shuttle stop is SO CLOSE now. No more running to Shriver to catch the bus.
The Den! This new bar/lounge is on top of Nifty Fifties. I liked it before I went because it's my name. We went there on Tuesday night. Pretty swanky place. REALLY good music and we were all fawning over the HOT dj. The white chocolate martini and gin martinis were GUDE.The masterpiece is finally built. Charles Commons is SO nice. I went in and saw the new dining rooms and apartments available. These kids are too spoiled now.This is the inside of the bookstore. We finally have a REAL bookstore, not some shack of a basement.Chipotle is on St. Paul now, right next to a Starbuck's. Finally a Starbucks. Baltimore was the only city I've visited where there are no Starbucks. There are more Starbucks on the Ohio Turnpike, than the city of Baltimore. I feel like after all the construction is completed, there will be so much to do around campus. I really hope they add the Panera and Coldstone next to it. The freshmen are going to be SO FAT. Muahaha.Terrace! Oops. Now it's called Fresh Food Cafe. It looks like a real restaurant or dining location, instead of a crappy cafeteria. I'm sure the food is so much better after Aramarc moved in.That night, I tried to gather everyone who was still in Baltimore for dinner at Bertha's Mussels. And it was a huge success. Seeing all 15 people living around Baltimore. It was cool to see all the different directions everyone was going after graduation. Definitely missed Andrea and Rich!Jess Lee and Jen!
Group shot.
Sudip! Alice! Vi! Olivia! I'm having a seizure apparently.
Olivia! Jess! Mark!
Burton! Richard!!
That night, I stayed over at Vi's and Olivia's apartment. The Park Charles is so nice. They have an awesome view too. Their Christmas tree was very festive. Too bad I couldn't hang out with them more. They're so busy with work and had to leave for Thanksgiving. Olivia: I'll see you in San Jose this winter break! Can't wait!
The next morning, Vi (thanks Vi!) dropped me off at the med school to see Sudip and Will, my suite-ys. They're so awesome, going to Hopkins med. The program there is so different from Northwestern. They don't have units and aren't doing an organ systems approach. They just focus on one subject at once. So basically, immunology for 3 weeks, and only immunology. Right now they just started anatomy, and they are going to do anatomy until February. It sounds like an awesome program (c'mon it's Hopkins), but I prefer studying organ system by organ system and doing the histology, anatomy and science of the organ system, rather than doing all of histology or anatomy at a time. I can't imagine spending 5-7 hours in the anatomy lab. I saw the Hopkins anatomy lab, it's definitely different. They have cool flourescent lamps to see the structures better. But the cadavers aren't in covered metal tanks like here. They're just out in the open, covered with a sheet. Spooky.
For lunch, I had to go back to my favorite Indian buffet at Mughal Garden. Good to catch up on life with Sudip and Mark. Yum-o. Ok. Sudip has the most amazing apartment. Living in the Standard is SO RITZY. Look at his lobby. It's like a fancy museum. It was good talking to Sudip and I'm so happy he's enjoying Hopkins.
Later that afternoon, I hung around the bookstore, waiting for Jess Lee to return from class. It was good to talk to Jeremy too! He showed me around the bookstore and Charles commons. Going back to Hopkins House made me sad. The nice lobby is all torn down and turned into bits. Boo.
Mindy came down from Boston! Glad to see her! I hope Harvard is going well for her. I have so much more respect for dental students now. They have to exactly the same amount of work as medical students, but MORE. They have dental classes on top of medical classes. I don't know how they do it. It's insane. Later that night, Joyce, Jess deLeon, Jess Lee and I went out to the Den and Brewer's Art. As I mentioned, the Den is pretty fancy. It reminded me of Bed in Sex and the City with all the beds. Plus the dj was awesome. But I totally missed Brewer's Art. It was the busiest I've ever seen it. I guess pre-Thanksgiving drinking is big. But they don't have the Proletary anymore. That was my beer at Brewer's art. So SAD. Had the Festivus, which was good. But not the same. And got totally trashed that night. I missed Baltimore!
Groggy eyed and with a headache, the show must go on! Jess and I started cooking for Thanksgiving at 9am. Here is the turkey stuffed with veggies.
Here is the after. Yummmmmm! I <3 Thanksgiving. It was just as good as last year's, or even better. The meat was so juicy and flavorful. Brining is the SECRET to the best turkey.
So the menu was (clockwise): Roasted turkey. Stuffing with bacon and apples. Quiche. Cranberry sauce. Gravy. Mashed potatoes. Sweet potato fries. California rolls. Not pictured: 2 reds/2 white wines. Pumpkin pie. Pistachio pumpkin roll cake. Thanks Janet for making sushi. It was really DELISH.
So this year, it was more of a muted affair with only 6 people. Janet! Jess Lee! Rex! Jen! Joyce! We miss you Eiline. You were the fourth member of our California Thanksgiving team, but I'm sure you had just as much fun in Ohio ;-).
Jess doing the honors of slicing the first cut.
Wishbone. The bone wasn't dry enough to snap. I let Jess Lee win. OMG. The food was soo good. I'm glad i starved myself. We at at 3pm. 6pm. 10pm. The eating never ended. And wasn't Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy so good? We were at the edge of our seats. SO GOOD. Later that night, I met up with the crew at Carlyle. Good to talk to Jeremy, Gautami, David, Ricky and Jeff again. I hope Jeff gets better after breaking his clavicle. Oh man. Get well soon!
Friday morning. Black Friday. But no shopping for us. Bidding farewell to Jess Lee, Hopkins House and Baltimore, Dan, Joyce, Rex and I headed up to NYC. We were surprised. No traffic at all. I guess everyone was at all the malls. Before heading into the city. We stopped by Burton's place to have lunch with him in New Jersey. Keith: we'll have lunch soon enough! Tell me when you get into Chicago! Oh man, we had GOOD Korean food too. We ate at SoGongDong at Fort Lee. YUM. The best soondubu and galbi EVER. I give props to you Burton and your K-Town New Jersey ness. After taking a 30 minute bus into the city, I arrived in Port Authority to meet Mike!! So awesome studying architecture at Columbia. I hope the semester gets better and the next professors are better than the current bitchy one. He knew about an art gallery showing in midtown called 460 degrees. Here are some pictures of the exhibit.
Everyone got free cds, booklets and Izze sparkling juice! I've always wanted to try that stuff. Meh. Not that impressed. It was good just to catch up with Mike and see how the city is treating him.
Walking in the city, I DEFINITELY missed NYC. The city is so different from Chicago. I used to say that it was very similar but it really isn't. Maybe it was the extra business of Black Friday, but it was a very different feel. The city is so much bigger and seems like so much is happening at once. Every borough you enter, different sights to see. Definitely want to come back here. I wonder what it's like living in the city. So walking over to SoHo, we found the Aldo sale shop. THIS WAS THE GOLD MINE OF ALL SHOPPING. Every single item was 50% off. I should have gotten more shoes, but it was pure madness.
H&M move over. I have found my new love. It is called Uniqlo ユニクロ. It just opened its largest store in the world in Manhattan, and I just stumbled upon it. Apparently, it is the H&M of Japan but they specialize in sweaters, t-shirts and blazers. Think of wool/cashmere sweaters from Banana, with all the colors of American Apparel, and the prices similar to H&M. It was crazy. THEY BETTER BUILD ONE IN CHICAGO.
ooooh. so pretty. I want to go back. NOW.
I suggested Mike and I eat at St. Mark's Place because there is always good stuff to eat there. And guess what, we went back to the place where I had bull penis. Unfortch, they didn't have the erotic menu today. So sad.
I think we ordered way too much food. But the food was so cheap! Clockwise: tonkatsu, sashimi platter, yaki udon, edemame, grilled mackerel, oysters, okonomiyake. My favorite? The okonomiyake.... Jefferson, you have to make that again. PLEASE.
Before meeting up with Dan, I had to see the new glass cube Apple store on 5th ave. SO PRETTY.
The elevator is so awesome.
Goodbye NYC. I'll miss you.
We headed back to Burton's place, so we could leave early. We ended up starting our trip around 7:30 in the morning and arrived back in Chicago 10.5 hours later. Pretty good timing since it's a longer drive from NYC to Chicago. I had the privilege of driving Dan's sports car in Ohio. Man, driving that car is SO FUN. Too bad, the number of cops was scary. I couldn't go above 80. Sad. This Thanksgiving was awesome. Now on to work. Sigh.

5 comments:

peo said...

freakin' lucky Dennis. My "break" was reading this entry. Bah.

Judy said...

I miss you... :(

And Hopkins... :(

And Hopkins people... :(

And New York... :(

And Kenka (@ St. Mark's)... :(

Stacy said...

You pig! All that food for just the two of you? hehe just kidding!
I'm glad my room (and my essence) provided you with such a great Thanksgiving break ;) And so mad that I couldn't be here to enjoy it with you!!

Amir Tusher said...

sorry we missed each other; it was a hectic day! next time, looks like you had a great time

Joyce said...

hey i went to uniqlo on saturday too! i think i'm still digesting from the whole weekend...