Thursday, July 13, 2006

Buddhist Temple In Jeju-do


Buddhist Temple In Jeju-do
Originally uploaded by dwhang.
Day 9

The whole gang headed for Seoul again for more sightseeing. This day, we went to Changdeokgung, which is the more modern palace compared to Gyeongbokgung. You can noticeably tell that the palace is more modern. But the cool part about this one was that there was a park for the king and queen to take a stroll. Cool to have such a nice park preserved in the middle of the capital.

After that tour, we headed a couple blocks south to Cheonggyecheon, a small stream running down the middle of the city. Apparently this stream was ressurected to symbolize the respect for nature and harmony between the city and nature. The stream was dotted with cool murals and waterfalls and it must look really nice at night. For lunch, I was sick of Korean food, so I ventured by myself for some westernized lunch. And I was in for a surprise. I ordered a ham sandwich on rye with an iced tea. Pretty safe choice huh? I was eating the ham sandwich, and I tasted something familiar but was wrong in a ham sandwich. After a couple more bites, I realized that they spreaded peanut butter on one slice, and mayonnaise on the other. Pretty funky huh? Not horrible tasting, just a little jarring.

After that intersting lunch, we headed for the Kyobo bookstore underground. Lots of stores are underground in Korea, I guess utilize all the space there is. I bought the latest Utada and Nelly Furtado CD. The hottest group in Korea right now is SG Wanna Be. But meh, I prefer Lim Jeong Hee. She's like the Korean Alicia Keys.

A short taxi ride later (taxis are SO CHEAP, it's like the meter never runs), we went to Namdaemun. Before I came to Korea, I always symbolized Seoul with this gate at the southern end of the city. It was cool to finally see it in person. Nearby was the Namdaemun market, which has a lot of cheap stuff. Like CHEAPO stuff. But it's a cool place to shop if you want inexpensive Korean souvenirs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.